“Naturalization or citizenship is the ordinance for a foreigner to obtain the Citizenship of the Republic of Indonesia through by filing a petition ("Request for Citizenship") to the Minister of Law and Human Rights ("Minister") through the Directorate General of General Law Administration ("Direktorat Jenderal Administrasi Hukum Umum/ Dirjen AHU").”
Who is eligible to gain the Indonesia Citizenship?
In general, Law Number 12 of 2006 regarding Citizenship of the Republic of Indonesia ("Citizenship Law") and Regulation of the Minister of Law and Human Rights No. 36 of 2016 on the Procedures of Submitting Statements to Become Indonesian Citizens ("Permenkumham 36/2016") provides that an Indonesian Citizen’s petition may be filled by the Applicant with the following criteria:
- a foreigner who is legally married to a citizen of Indonesia;
- foreigners who have contributed to the country of Indonesia;
- children who have dual citizenship; and
- Indonesian citizens who lost their Indonesian citizenship status and wish to regain the Citizenship of the Republic of Indonesia.
Things You Should Prepare to Gain the Indonesian Citizenship
Conditions of Indonesian Citizenship Application according to Article 9 of the Citizenship Law, the conditions to be fulfilled in order to obtain Indonesian citizenship are as follows:
- 18 years old or already married;
- Upon applying already residing in the territory of the Republic of Indonesia for at least 5 (five) consecutive years or at least 10 years in a row;
- Physically and mentally healthy;
- Able to speak Indonesian and recognize the basic state of Pancasila and the Constitution of the State of the Republic of Indonesia Year 1945;
- Never been sentenced for committing a criminal offense punishable by imprisonment of 1 (one) year or more;
- If by obtaining the Citizenship of the Republic of Indonesia, it does not become a dual nationality;
- Have a job and/or a fixed income; and
- Pay the nationality to the State Treasury.
The Requirement and Procedure to Gain the Indonesian Citizenship through Marriage:
- The Requirement :
- Applicant’s personal data which has been legalized by the authorized official from his / her country of origin as follows:
- Photocopy of birth certificate which has been translated into Indonesian by sworn translator and has been legalized by the authorized official;
- Photocopy of Identity Card ("KTP") or validation letter of residence of Applicant that has been legalized by the authorized official;
- The data of the Applicant’s spouse that includes:
- Photocopy of birth certificate which has been legalized by the Department of Population and Civil Registry;
- Photocopy of Identity Card that has been legalized by the official of the Department of Population and Civil Registration at the Regency/ municipality level;
- Photocopy of marriage certificate/ marriage book (for Muslims) Applicant who has been translated into Indonesian by a sworn translator and legalized by the authorized official in place of marriage.
- Original certificate from the following institutions;
- The Immigration Office in the Applicant’s residence stating that the Applicant has been resident in Indonesia for at least five consecutive years or 10 years in a row;
- Petition certificate of Petitioner issued by the Headquarters of the Indonesian National Police;
- The diplomatic representative of the applicant’s country of origin who states if the Applicant obtains Indonesian citizenship then the person loses his/ her nationality from his/ her country of origin; and
- A government hospital that explains the physical and mental health of the Applicant.
- The six latest passport-sized passport photographs (4 x 6 cm in size with a red background, well-dressed and polite); and
- Original proof of payment of request for a statement to become Indonesian Citizen (the application fee is set at Rp 2.500.000,- (two million five hundred Rupiahs) per application.
- The procedure :
The petition must be submitted through the official website of Dirjen AHU at https://www.ahu.go.id with the following required documents :
Please note that the official retribution subject mentioned in point (6) is limited only for foreigners that legally married to Indonesian Citizen.
After applying electronically, the Applicant shall submit the above documents physically to the Minister through the Director General of AHU accompanied by a letter of statement of the contents of the physical documents submitted within a period of 5 (five) days from the date of receipt of the application electronically.
Upon receipt of the physical documents set forth above, the Minister shall have 10 (ten) working days to perform the completeness and correctness of the submitted documents as of the date the physical documents are received.
In the event of a lack of completeness of the physical documents, the Minister shall notify and request the Applicant to complete the deficiency within a period of no later than 14 (fourteen) working days from the date of notification. Otherwise, the application is rejected and the rejection notice is submitted to the Applicant electronically. However, the Applicant may re-apply new application at a later date.
If after the examination, the Citizenship Application is declared complete, the Minister further stipulates the decision regarding obtaining Indonesian Citizenship and submit it electronically to the Applicant and the representative of the Applicant’s country of origin. In addition, the Minister will also announce the name of the Applicant who obtains Indonesian citizenship in the State Gazette of the Republic of Indonesia.
Finally, the applicant is required to return documents relating to his/ her status as a foreign citizen to the competent authority within 14 (fourteen) days at the latest from the date of the stipulation of the Minister’s decision. After obtaining the status of citizen, the next step that must be passed is the making of Identity Card for the citizen whose requirements and procedures determined by One-Stop Integrated Service Board (BPTSP) in the Sub-District (kelurahan) where the Applicant is domiciled.
How can ELSON help you?
ELSON Indonesia is a company that focus on providing comprehensive legal solution for expatriates, foreigner, and mix marriage couple in Indonesia.
Phone: 0819 3274 1 333
Author: Belle Risca Junia/ ELSON