“KITAP is only eligible for expatriate with the Director or Commisioner job position that has stayed for over than 3 (three) consecutive years in Indonesia under Limited Stay Permit Card (KITAS) and signed a Statement of Integration to the Government of the Republic of Indonesia .”

Over the years, we have so many questions from our beloved client related with their intention to apply for Permanent Stay Permit Card (Kartu Izin Tinggal Tetap/KITAP), such as differences in the requirement between applicant who stay here in Indonesia as an expatriate with the applicant that stay because they are married with Indonesian citizen? Is there any specific criteria for expatriates to be eligible apply for KITAP?

Permanent Stay Permit (Izin Tinggal Tetap/ITAP) is an immigration permit for foreigner to stay permanently in Indonesia. It is materialized by the immigration office stamps into the foreigner’s passport. After ITAP has been granted, the immigration office will issue Permanent Stay Permit Card (KITAP).

Regarding on how to obtain KITAP in Indonesia, the first thing we should know is, who is eligible to apply for KITAP. There are two main articles of Law No. 6 of 2011 on Immigration that regulates on KITAP. Based on the Article 54 of Immigration Law, a Permanent Residence Permit (ITAP) may be given to:

  1. foreign national who holds a Temporary Residence Permit as a religious cleric/missionary, expatriate worker, investor, or retiree;
  2. a member of a mixed marriage family;
  3. the husband, wife, and/or child of a foreign national who holds a Permanent Residence Permit; and
  4. a foreign national who is a former Indonesian citizen or held dual citizenship of the Republic of Indonesia and another country

Therefore, if the applicant wants to get KITAP, he or she must apply for KITAS first. After obtaining the KITAS for three consecutive years, then the applicant is qualified for the KITAP.

For KITAP application, expatriate and sponsor company need to prepare the following documents:

  1. Passport with validity minimum 18 (eighteen) months;
  2. KITASs, IMTAs, SKTT of last three years;
  3. Deed and Ministerial Approval;
  4. Taxpayer Identification Number (Nomor Pokok Wajib Pajak/NPWP);
  5. NPWP and KTP of Indonesian with highest position in the Company;
  6. Business registration;
  7. Business License;
  8. Mandatory Manpower Report (Wajib Lapor Ketenagakerjaan / WLK);
  9. Expatriate Worker Utilization Plan (Rencana Penggunaan Tenaga Kerja Asing/RPTKA);
  10. DPKK funds payment proof (the annual US$1,200); and
  11. Expatriate Working Permit Card (Izin Mempekerjakan Tenaga Kerja Asing/IMTA);

How can ELSON help you?
ELSON Indonesia is a company that focus on providing comprehensive legal solution for expatriates, foreigner, and mixed marriage couple in Indonesia.

Contact us:
Phone: +62822 1000 9872
Office: +6221 8067 4920

Author: Windi Saptarani